Monday, January 10, 2011

Foreigner's Sport

As an Australian teenager, I haven't been introduced to American sport, although I was always a little interested. This year though I have taken the big step of committing to the NBA and NFL and becoming a hardened supporter, despite the fact that I still don't know the entire rule book. Luckily for me I do have pay tv and One HD, which means there is a bare minimum of games to watch, and heading into the playoffs there is a genuine chance that my teams, Green Bay Packers and Miami Heat will get some good air time.

Firstly, the Miami Heat is probably the side I support more out of the two. But I want to make one thing clear, I was a supporter BEFORE Chris Bosh and LeBron James became 'Heaters'. With a friend we chose to follow the Heat after playing NBA 2K11 on Play Station. I was impressed with Dwayne Wade's pace and three point shooting, and seeing as I had never seen him play, he was already my favourite. Within a couple of weeks he was joined at Miami by a couple of alright players and I was sold. Since then, I watch Miami whenever possible and I am impressed by their return to form following a shaky start.

When watching a local comedy program a teacher labelled himself as a 'fudge packer'. So my love affair with Green Bay was born. Through research I was impressed by their history and decided to follow them full time. air time is scarce for the Pack-men so I have followed them by the internet, yet I am already hooked to John Kuhn as my favourite player, and have noticed his cult status with the fans. As I write actually the Packers are holding a 11 point lead over Philadelphia in the wild card playoff. Sensibly I am not celebrating, but with 4 minutes left, I am very happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment